Feb 3, 2021
Was Jesus on board with the violence in the Old Testament? Mark
responds to Vicq's question as a unitarian Christian.
Seeing the face value (apparent) meaning of Scripture should be
encouraged. It can be refined patiently with increased
- James 3:1 - Teachers are held to higher standard.
- Genesis 6:9ff - The great flood that wiped out millions
- Genesis 18:20-19:29 - Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed, and Lot's
wife turned to pillar of salt.
- Luke 22:42; John 4:34, 5:30, 6:38 - Jesus has own will.
- Genesis 41:38-40 - Pharaoh gave all authority over his house
and over Egypt to Joseph.
- Luke 22:42 - Jesus has second thoughts about the cross.
- John 15:13 - Greater love has no man than to lay down his life
for his friends, which Jesus demonstrated.
- Acts 2:22 - Signs and wonders which God did through him.
- Matthew 28:18 - All authority in heaven and on earth has been
given to me.
- Hebrews 1:4 - Jesus has become more superior to the
- 1 Timothy 2:5 - Jesus is the man who mediates between God and
- Hebrews 2:17, 4:14 - Jesus has become our great high priest in
service to God.
- Hebrews 4:5 - Jesus can sympathize with us in every way. He was
tempted like we were.
- Acts 2:36 - Jesus was made Lord and Messiah.
- Genesis 42:6 - Joseph’s brothers worshiped him.
- Genesis 43:30 - Joseph expresses great love and compassion for
- Daniel 7:14 - Dominion is given to the son of man, and all
nations serve him.
- Jonah 3:6-10 - The people of Nineveh repent, and God gave them
- Genesis 18:22 - Abraham pleaded with God to spare Sodom for the
sake of a small number of righteous, and God agrees.
- Exodus 20:18-21 - The people of Israel were afraid of the voice
- Exodus 13:21-22 - The Pilar of fire led the Israelites by
- Numbers 16:31-35 - The ground opened up and swallowed the
people who belonged to Korah.
- Genesis 3:15 - Seed of eve is promised to crush the head of the
- Deuteronomy 18:15 - God promised a prophet like Moses would
come one day.
- Jeremiah 30:21, Genesis 49:10 - Jesus was of one of the people
of Israel, of their people. We are his kin.
Philippians 2:9-11 - We bow to Jesus to the glory of God the
- 1 Corinthians 15:24-28 - Jesus reigns over the kingdom
until all enemies are put down, then hands the kingdom back over to
the one who gave it to him in the first place.
- Psalm 8:3-9 - David’s amazement that God gave man given rule
over the works of His hands.
Quements or comstions? Say your first name and your state or
"Meliza from Mexico. I resonated with Jason's story.
If your podcast app lets you remove silences, maybe don't. You
will likely enjoy this better with the silences left in.
FOLLOW THE PODCAST
Podcast Webpage: https://podcast.unitarianchristianalliance.org